Dixfield Historical Society exists to inspire people's
understanding that the history we share as a community is
the foundation for our future together. Our purpose is to
encourage a diverse audience from our communicty to explore,
appreciate and utilize their past. To do so, we offer engaging
exhibits and programs, pursue partnerships with other cultural
organizations and community groups, and develop and care
for a definitive collection related to local history. We
operate a museum and research center in Dixfield, Maine
and are committed to ensuring the vitality of our historic
- DHS is a leading regional destination for inspiration
where people find meaning, value and delight from
personal encounters with authentic objects, documents,
stories and ideas from the past.
- DHS is a gathering place where engaging activities connect the past, present and future in ways that promote reflection and discussion on issues that matter to people.
- DHS is an expression of our community where unique programs and exhibits give people a sense of individual and shared identity and empower us to move ahead together with hope, confidence and pride.
- DHS is recognized for extending its exhibits,
knowledge and treasures into our community.
- DHS is embedded in the community and is a
place where history is cherished.
DHS's Core Beliefs inform all decisions and actions of our organization as we advance our Mission and pursue our Vision for the future.
- COMMUNITY: History is a cumulative process
made up of the individual and collective decisions
of people in their neighborhoods, cities and
towns, states and the nation. Step-by-step, as
choices are made, every local citizen shares
in forging our communal identity. Our ongoing
collaborations within the community facilitate
dialogue about things that matter most to people.
- INCLUSIVENESS: Interpretation of history must
be inclusive of all peoples and must respect
and reflect the contributions and perspectives
of diverse individuals and groups in our community.
- INTEGRITY: Maintaining the public's trust as caretaker of the county's history is of utmost importance and demands sound fiscal management and openness, fairness, creativity and excellence in all that we do.
- STEWARDSHIP: Artifacts and archival records from our past offer an unparalleled opportunity to examine and understand history. Our role as custodians of irreplaceable collections demands the highest professional standards in their care and accuracy in their interpretation.
- ACCESSIBILITY: Our policies must afford all citizens equal and broad access to our remarkable resources, both physical and intellectual, for the advancement of knowledge and nourishment of the human spirit.